“Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them – to the Israelites.” (Josh. 1:2).
This was a new season for Joshua and a new season for the Israelites. Joshua was a faithful servant of Moses and did not expect to suddenly become the leader of over two million Israelis, and to take them into their next phase of possessing lands and development as a nation. God, however, will never lead you where His grace will not keep you and His glory will not give you victory.
God coached Joshua for a successful new season (Josh 1:3-9).
1) Expect new open doors. “I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses” (vs.3).
2) I am in control of your boundaries. “Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates—all the Hittite country—to the Mediterranean Sea in the west.” (vs.4).
3) I will be with you and fight for you. “No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (vs.5)
4) Don’t let the devil’s schemes of discouragement overcome you. “Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them.” (vs.6)
5) Study and obey God’s word. “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.” (Vs.7,8).
6) Do not let fear conquer your faith. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” (vs.9).
My confidence is in Christ my Savior and in His hope of glory that is in me.
Read the Bible in One Year: Malachi 1-4; Revelation 22